Google+

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Coffee Escapades -Starbucks Coffee

As I had written in my previous post here, I was all geared up and excited to go for the grand opening of Starbucks Coffee at Horniman Circle this weekend. However, when I had read that Starbucks India had decided to source its coffee from India and not internationally for the first time in their business history, I was a tad bit disappointed and my excitement had died down a bit. I know that this would only help to boost the Indian coffee plantations and the economy, but I still wanted to taste the famous Starbucks coffee that is known all over the world. However, I still made my way to Horniman Circle for the opening and then I saw the 3km long queue and changed my mind about going to Starbucks then and there itself and decided to wait for all the excitement to die down. 

So, while I was waiting, Starbucks had announced that it was opening two more outlets at Taj Palace and Tower Hotels at Apollo Bunder and at Oberoi Mall, Goregaon East on Dusshera! I couldn't believe my ears and my luck! The Oberoi Mall outlet is right next to my house. So, I went over yesterday for the inauguration and I am so happy I did.
Starbucks Coffee Oberoi Mall

Surprisingly, there wasn't a huge queue at the Oberoi Mall outlet when I had come and Le BF and I were the first five people who entered the coffee shop. Yaaaaaaaaa!! I really liked how they designed the coffee shop,  it was really sophisticated, warm and cozy. The staff were also really really friendly. They helped out with the order and also the service was really fast. I hadn't reached the delivery counter when my order was already there, waiting for me with my name on it. 

Starbucks Barista's hard at work

At Starbucks, we had ordered the Venti Java Chip Frappuccino, the Grande Cappuccino and the Chocolate Truffle cake. While, Le BF had the Java Chip Frappuccino, I had the Cappuccino. Initially, I was a bit apprehensive about the taste of the coffee and was expecting it to be on the same lines of Barista and Mocha, since it had been sourced from India, but after I tasted the coffee, all my apprehensions flew out the window. The Cappuccino was absolutely perfect! It wasn't bitter, like most other coffee shops, it was smooth and strong and you can smell the fine roast of the of the coffee beans. It was heavenly!!! Finally, you can get some really good coffee in Mumbai. :) The Java Chip Frappuccino also lived up to its name and was a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. In fact, the best part I loved about the Java Chip Frappuccino was that there were chocolate chips in the coffee that would melt in your mouth. The Chocolate Truffle cake was all right, nothing great to write home about.

Java Chip Frappuccino, Cappuccino and Chocolate Truffle

The complete bill had come to Rs. 500 including tax for the coffees and the cake, which I think is fairly priced. I am happy that they haven't decided to price everything at Starbucks exorbitantly, which many were expecting. I was very satisfied with my visit to Starbucks and very, very, very elated that one of their outlets is present right next to my house!!! Yaaaaaaa!

So, have you gone to Starbucks yet? Would love to hear your views about the coffee shop. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Priyanka thanks for the insight on starbucks, this post of yours is really informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Khusbu,

      Thanks for visiting my blog and glad you liked the post. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, so it is finally here. I wonder how come the Horniman outlet had so much rush.
    Yes, it is a bit of a let-down but probably it is best this way. Maybe the international taste would not have suited the Indian context.
    Ultimately, you did like the taste even though it is sourced from the same place. It's about the Starbucks experience which makes it stand out of the clutter.
    Can't wait to visit the outlet on my next trip. :)
    Thanks for review and congrats for being the first few during the inauguration.

    Regards

    Jay
    http://road-to-sanitarium.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there was much hype behind the Horniman circle outlet cos it was the first ever outlet to open in India. and everyone wanted to visit it then and there! :P

      Yeah the coffee was good, which I think is primarily due to the way it was made and not just the beans. You should definitely visit it. Where are you based?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that could be a reason.
      I'm based out of Ahmedabad :)

      Regards

      Jay
      http://road-to-sanitarium.blogspot.in/

      Delete